Wednesday, May 13, 2009

No Good Thing




The womens ministry at my church has just embarked on a very cool journey.... scripture memorization via, blogging! Here is my verse I have chosen for this month and a little explanation to why I chose it...


"I said to the LORD, 'You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.' " (Psalm 16:2)


One of the major growing up steps in the Christian life is to be able to say -- and believe (much harder) -- the statement David makes to God in this verse.


It's a dangerous faith statement. To believe it is to leave all the false self-hope behind. To believe it is to say, "Everything I thought I'd given to myself was actually God's gift to me." To believe it is to say, "Every good thing I don't have right now is something my loving Father didn't give to me -- so I must not need it in this moment."


To believe this statement -- and all the implications it brings -- is to step into the deeper end of the faith pool. It's an idea that should fill us with gratitude as we notice all the good things we have. But it's also one that will challenge our willingness to trust the powerful Father who knows us best to give us what He decides is for our good in His timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment